Forum
Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Fuel

Last post 10-03-1999, 2:30 AM by anonymous2. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-01-1999, 9:51 PM 865

Fuel

*** Posted by Chris Gilliland ***
    What is the composite of jet fuel, is it similar to say formula one fuel that is highly concentrated with alcohol (extremely volatile correct me if I'm mistaken) I'm thinking its a low combustion fuel due to the intense heat generated by the engine. Example, I've read that if you dropped a match on the fuel desiginated for an SR-71 it would extinguish the match.

As always keep up the great work,
    Chris
  •  10-02-1999, 11:49 PM 866 in reply to 865

Re:Fuel

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi Chris,

I'm not sure of the fuel composition but I think it is similar to the fuel used in F1 cars. With regards to the fuel used in the SR-71, it's true that a match will not ignite it if it's dropped on it. The fuel used was called JP-7 which had a high flash point but it was mainly developed to cope with the SR-71's heat problems when flying well above supersonic so the plane would not explode, or something like that.

Regards

Rapier
  •  10-02-1999, 11:49 PM 867 in reply to 865

*** Posted by Rapier ***
    Hi Chris,

I'm not sure of the fuel composition but I think it is similar to the fuel used in F1 cars. With regards to the fuel used in the SR-71, it's true that a match will not ignite it if it's dropped on it. The fuel used was called JP-7 which had a high flash point but it was mainly developed to cope with the SR-71's heat problems when flying well above supersonic so the plane would not explode, or something like that.

Regards

Rapier
  •  10-03-1999, 2:30 AM 869 in reply to 865

*** Posted by run ***
    [What is the composite of jet fuel, is it similar to say formula one fuel that is highly concentrated with alcohol (extremely volatile correct me if I'm mistaken) I'm thinking its a low combustion fuel due to the intense heat generated by the engine. Example, I've read that if you dropped a match on the fuel desiginated for an SR-71 it would extinguish the match.

As always keep up the great work,
    Chris]

Hi Chris

It's actually more like diesel fuel. The octane rating in jet fuel is pretty high and a lot of additives has been added to give it a high flamepoint. Most fighters actually use the fuel to cool different stuff down so it can get pretty hot.

run
View as RSS news feed in XML